Old 30-03-2003, 06:20 AM
Hussein M.

Default Small weeping trees

On Sat, 29 Mar 2003 19:50:52 -0000, "Rod"
wrotc:

of the stems, the individual stems are then detached and lifted with some root. A 2 year old stem done on this system
would probably be a basis on which to form a saleable tree in another season or perhaps 2.

My spinosa arrived from Bluebell and I wonder whether it was
propagated this way. There is no real vertical apical dominance and it
has a 'flat top' about 1.5 above soil level.
The laterals are fairly substantial but horizontal (some of those
spines are sticking into the soil inches away from the plant). In fact
it looks as if it was pruned for ground cover. Now there's a thought.
No.

I was hoping for it and can now see it coming - a little green
sprout right on top of the heel atop. I think I will talk to it
encouraging everyday and judiciously jostle the plant into putting the
apical dominance up that little fellah. I know it will take years to
get it progressing the way it will have to in order to occupy the
space I want it to when it is mature. I think it is a little early to
introduce it to a rather meaty sounding rosa which I am about to look
up. Thanks for that.

Yep. It's one of those species shrub roses. I'm a little iffy about
them I'm afraid. I think they remind me of plantings I've encountered
encircling the car parks of dentist's surgeries.

:-(

However "Spectacular thorns which are translucent on the young shoots
and glow like rubies in the morning and evening light." does sound
quite enticing!

Huss
Grow a little garden