Old 08-06-2007, 03:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster Kay Lancaster is offline

Default new homeowner with lots of clover flowers

On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 12:27:07 -0000, Joe wrote:
Has anyone had any success removing the clover from the middle of the
yard and transplanting it on the edges? I think it would look pretty
sharp for those flowers to bloom in unison around the edges of the
yard instead of haphazardly throughout.

In order to maintain that, you'll have to keep the grass in tip-top
condition with fertilizer, lime and proper mowing, and probably add
some applications of broad leaf herbicide every year. That or hand-
weeding. You've probably got a 70 year supply of clover seed in the
upper portion of your soil -- all it takes is a little space between
the grass plants and the clover will germinate (along with other weeds).

I'd also suggest a trip to some of the Stately Homes of England for a
good close look at those magnificent lawns that have about 20x the
number of species in them as the average US suburban lawn. They just
keep things mowed or sheeped.

Kay