Old 08-06-2007, 12:59 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Apropos Apropos is offline

Default Fertilizer for crape myrtles?

Thanks, just what I needed to know.

My crapes were about 5gal 2 years ago when I planted them. This year
they're large but not putting off new growth as fast as before, also not as
fast as the crapes in the medians of the roadways (obviously the city is
doing right by them)

"Peter Pan" wrote in message
A complete general-purpose garden fertilizer -- such as 8-8-8, 10-10-10,
12-4-8 or 16-4-8 -- is ideal for crape myrtle. To newly planted small

plants
(1-gallon size), apply 1 teaspoon of fertilizer monthly from March to

August
along the perimeter of the planting hole. Larger, established plants will
benefit from one broadcast application of fertilizer in spring. Apply

8-8-8
or 10-10-10 at a rate of 1 lb. per 100 sq. ft. or 12-4-8 or 16-4-8 at a

rate
of ½ lb. per 100 sq. ft. Avoid over-fertilization because it causes excess
growth and reduced flowering. The best time to fertilize is just before a
rain. Otherwise, water in the fertilizer after application with

irrigation.
It is not necessary to remove mulch when fertilizing.
"Apropos" wrote in message
What should I use?