Old 08-06-2007, 03:33 PM posted to rec.gardens
John Bachman John Bachman is offline

Default Bugs

On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 07:39:33 -0500, jangchub
wrote:

On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 18:10:18 -0700, McGerm
wrote:

Last year I tried to go without any insecticides in my garden. Me and
my son did slug hunts at night, I spread diatomaceous earth for bugs
(especially squash bugs), and sprayed with neem when my tomatoes got
soft rot. It was a disaster, the bugs and rot got everything edible,
until late in the summer when I broke out malathion and seven, and
physan (benzalkonium chloride).

The squash bug nymphs are back already and destroying(and infesting)
my lettuce and they have already killed the cucumber and squash
seedlings. How do I manage things without resorting to poisons
again?!

Help me be green.

Read some of the myriad books on organic gardening. The more you use
poison, the more insects you'll have.

I think what you are saying is if you misuse insecticides you will
help develop resistant strains of pests. If so, that is true.

But, if you choose to use insecticides, you must learn how to use them
properly including techniques to avoid encouraging the development of
local resistant strains.

JMHO

John