Old 08-06-2007, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert \(Plymouth\) Robert \(Plymouth\) is offline

Default Potatoes, harvesting?

wrote:
: On Jun 8, 6:42 pm, "Alan Holmes" wrote:
:: A neighbour was admiring my early potatoes today and we were
:: discussing when to crop them, I said I would just dig down to see
:: what was there, he made a comment about the tops dying off to show
:: the potatoes were ready.
::
:: Should one wait until the tops die, before trying to recover the
:: crop?
:
: We don't Alan, we have been eating our earlies and they are lovely.

:
: Judith

They are usually bulking up when flowering (if they flower) and a rough rule
of thumb is that earlies take three months and maincrop four. No need to
wait for them to die back unless you want the maximum crop for storage