Old 08-06-2007, 10:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
Persephone Persephone is offline

Default Strawberry runners

On Fri, 8 Jun 2007 15:35:58 -0600, "Erdos2"
wrote:

wrote in message
m...

On-line, I read the following:

+++++++++===

As runners form from the plant crowns, train along the row and space 6
to 9 inches apart. Press the runner gently into the soil, hold in
place with a rock or cover with about 1/2 inch of soil until roots
form. Do not sever the runner from the mother plant.

++++++++++++++

But I don't HAVE any room to plant the runners without severing themt
from mother plant. The strawberry patch is tiny and is fenced
in to keep the )*&*&^%$ squirrels out. Some of the plants
went ape shortly after planting, sending out umpty runners.

Is it quite hopeless to try to sever the runners and plant them
elsewhere?

Also, as I am short of room, could I plant them between
rosebushes?

Can you move other more mature plants from where the runners
could be rooted? Otherwise just trim them off and don't worry
about them for now. But eventually you are going to want to
start replacing the older plants anyway because after a few years
their production will decrease.

Jerry

Thanks for quick answers from both kind posters.

Definitely, I was NOT thinking outside the envelope!

Of course I will "ruthlessly" sever the runners.

Maybe that's why I haven't had very heavy bearing
(though enormous and delicious).

Appreciate the help!

Persephone