Old 09-06-2007, 05:18 AM posted to rec.gardens
mleblanca mleblanca is offline

Default Tree for indoors

On Jun 7, 7:08 pm, gary wrote:
I want to grow a Karaka tree (alternate name: Corynocarpus laevigatus;
common name: New Zealand Laurel).

I want to grow it INDOORS near a 10-foot tall window that gets plenty
of light but never direct sunlight. I want to keep the tree between
4- and 6-feet tall.

My local nursery can special-order the tree from a wholesale grower
near Santa Barbara, California -- about 160 miles from my home in
Riverside, CA. (The tree is NOT imported from New Zealand).

Should I order the tree in a one-, three- or five- gallon can?

How can I be sure that the grower will deliver a decent-looking plant?

I don't know if the grower grew the tree in plain garden soil (i.e.,
"dirt"). Since garden soil is not recommended for container plants
(especially, indoor plants), should I wash the soil from the roots and
re-plant the tree in a good-quality potting mix? If "Yes", how can I
do this without killing the tree?

Does the grower have an address/telephone....... Why not write/call
them
and ask?
Emilie