Old 09-06-2007, 05:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
mleblanca mleblanca is offline

Default Replacement groundcover

On Jun 8, 9:23 pm, gary wrote:
Hi Emilie,

"Watered" may be somewhat inexact. What I really intended to convey
was that, for the first few weeks after planting the BSC plugs, I
"sprinkled" them daily. After that, I watered the garden whenever the
soil looked dry or on the warmer days. I never "flooded" the garden.

No, I don't have gophers, snails or slugs.

I'm looking for a fairly low-growing, flowering groundcover that will
form a dense mat (to reduce the incessant weeds) and that will
tolerate Riverside's 115-degree summer days and 20-degree winter days.

Gary
Well, sometimes BSC just curls up its toes, and dies.......:^(

All of the ground covers that I listed do very well up here in Chico
which has just about the same temps as Riverside. Hot, dry summers
and cold winters. We get a little more rain than you do. (usually)

The pink flowered strawberry is very nice, has edible berries, and
will
fill in with runners as do regular strawberries.
I have all the plants I suggested in my garden and all are very nice,
and are 6 inches or less.
The Potentilla has little yellow flowers and also spreads by runners.

Do you have Sunset Western Garden Book? It's an excellent source
and has great lists of plants for all needs: hedges, groundcovers etc
with appropriate areas of CA. You might find it at your library or buy
a copy. It is an excellent reference and well worth the money.
Good luck
Emilie