Old 09-06-2007, 03:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
Jan Flora Jan Flora is offline

Default Strawberry runners

In article ,
wrote:

On-line, I read the following:

+++++++++===

As runners form from the plant crowns, train along the row and space 6
to 9 inches apart. Press the runner gently into the soil, hold in
place with a rock or cover with about 1/2 inch of soil until roots
form. Do not sever the runner from the mother plant.

++++++++++++++

But I don't HAVE any room to plant the runners without severing themt
from mother plant. The strawberry patch is tiny and is fenced
in to keep the )*&*&^%$ squirrels out. Some of the plants
went ape shortly after planting, sending out umpty runners.

Is it quite hopeless to try to sever the runners and plant them
elsewhere?

Also, as I am short of room, could I plant them between
rosebushes?

Anxiously awaiting your input.

Persephone

Jeeze girl -- snip the dang things off the mother plants
and stick them wherever you want/have room. They'll either
make it or they won't. Most likely, they'll make it. Mine
always do.

Your mother plants will need to be replaced every couple
of years, so don't just wantonly toss all of the runners
in the compost.

We made our first rhubarb pie of the season the other day.
*wild cheering*

Jan