Old 09-06-2007, 03:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Glenna Rose Glenna Rose is offline

Default Volunteer tomatoes

writes:

They're coming up beside decorative plants in large pots.

Must have been seeds in the dirt I used to fill pots.

They seem very healthy -- almost more so than the ones
I painstakaking planted and labeled and transplanted and...

Be interesting to see what materializes down the line!

Persephone

Before the chickens joined our yard, I had volunteers coming up all
spring. As they got to a good size, I gave them away, by the dozens. My
lot is 135 long and I planted them outside the fence along that strip for
all the neighbors to enjoy also. Each of the children in the neighborhood
had their own plant (and labeled with their name) with lots that were
"public" plants as well.

When I gave them to people, I told them they were mystery tomato plants
but were heirlooms, guaranteed to be delicious. It was fun to see what
they got since I had things like Black, Pineapple, Sun Gold, Black Plum,
Green Stripey - you get the idea.g

It's really quite cool to do that. Those days are gone for now since the
chickens get the garden at the end of the season; they pretty much clean
up any and all seeds.

Glenna