Old 09-06-2007, 12:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David \(Normandy\) David \(Normandy\) is offline

Default Potatoes, harvesting?

We lifted our first yesterday and they look good. Except the one I stabbed
with the fork of course.

Steve

Frustrating isn't it. No matter how carefully or how far away from the plant
you plunge the fork, sooner or later you inevitably skewer one (or lots!).

Also, why is it that no matter how carefully you sieve the soil with the
fork, there are always a few tiny potatoes escape detection to become next
years 'volunteers'. I've had to completely abandon part of my onion bed this
year - there are more volunteer potatoes than onions, so I've given in and
let the spuds reclaim the bed again this year. The onions are lost under two
feet of potato foliage now.

David.