Old 30-03-2003, 09:08 AM
Keith

Default Will my clematis sieboldii survive?

I'm more worried about Freckles overrunning it's supporting bush than dying
out at the moment.

When I planted it I was expecting it to lose most of its growth to frost and
cold winds in the winter but it's been fine. A bit of snow hasn't done it
any harm and it's now started producing new growth all over. I have been
watering it a little because it's been dry for so long, but apart from that
it's left to its own devices.

By way of contrast, I think Dr Ruppel has succumbed to snail attack. When I
lifted it's stones up to see why it wasnt growing there was a family of
very fat snails and no bark/shoots left. Maybe it will recover.

Keith.

"K" wrote in message

"Keith" wrote in message
: Mine is in a big pot underneath an evergreen bush. It's survived the

snow
: and the frost and is now growing pretty fast.
: Even c. cirrhosa 'Freckles' is doing pretty well. I'm having more

trouble
: with the normal hybrids than the difficult to grow varieties.
:
: Keith (West London)
:
'
My sieboldii survived the snow, too. It didn't seem to like the recent
frosty nights and warm days.

'Freckles' is next on my list to try. Is it a particularly difficult one?