Old 09-06-2007, 11:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Salvia identity please

On 9/6/07 21:10, in article ,
"Chris Hogg" wrote:

On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 18:02:54 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 9/6/07 17:51, in article
,
"Chris Hogg" wrote:

I have a shrubby salvia in full bloom ATM. The bush itself is about 18
in. tall and say 4 ft. across, with flower stems extending a further 3
- 4 ft. above that. Picture at
http://i17.tinypic.com/66mvnuq.jpg
(there is a yardstick bottom left, for scale), and another at
http://i10.tinypic.com/67hezat.jpg

snipI'm fairly sure it's Salvia guarantica which used to be known as
S.ambigens. I'll ask Ray to have a look if I'm wrong, because he knows a
lot more about Salvias than I do!

Possibly, but RHS says S. guarantica flowers from late summer to late
autumn. Perhaps some clones flower earlier.

Ray says it's not that but he doesn't know which it is. Can you ask the
garden you got it from? I think Christine Yeo of Pleasant View Nursery has
retired now but she has or had, the National Collection of Salvias.
Two Mile Oak, Newton Abbot, Devon TQ12 6DG

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk