Old 10-06-2007, 03:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster Kay Lancaster is offline

Default flowering & fruit trees

thanks for the weblinks. the types of dis-counts I was talking about were
the over-stock ones. they claim that the trees will be 3-4 foot on
delivery. i am mainly leaning towards crepe myrtle and dogwoods. we
already have a few that were here when we moved here and they have proven to
fair well. I would just like some other colors/variations to plant around
the yard. i don't really care about what height they will grow to.
thanks,

Actually, you *do* care how tall they grow (and their probable spread).
And the type of root system.

My folks planted a nice little linden under the power line to their house.
It had to be removed just about the time it got big enough to shade the
living room... $$$$ to remove it and the cost of planting another tree.
Had they figured height and spread and moved it 25 ft to the SW, that tree
would still be growing. They also planted a silver maple too close to the
house... mom broke her collarbone trying to prune it where it had a big
branch on the house. More $$$$ for doctors and more $$$$ for a proper
pruning. Then there was the neighbor's willow tree roots that ate the
septic system ($$$$$).
Or the siberian elm (notoriously brittle) that came into
my room for a little chat during a windstorm and pinned me in bed, when
I was 4. That was relatively cheap... new window and roof and some
minor cuts and bruises.

I suspect the most common cause of tree death of established trees on
residential property is probably the wrong species in the wrong place.

You also want to be sure to plant healthy stock... especially if you've
already got the same or related species on your property. Diseases
spread quickly when you've got a lot of the same species (or even genus).
Might want to check with your local extension service to see if they
have any predictions of what diseases seem to be building in an area,
too. For instance, out here in Oregon, we're watching SOD, sudden oak
death, very closely. It affects quite a few species, and it's closed
some specialty nurseries.

Pick the right species for the right spots and you'll add value to your
home. Pick the wrong ones, and you've added to your workload and
cost. Some crape myrtle cultivars, for instance, are not cold hardy
and freeze to the ground.

Dogwoods are notorious for anthracnose, cankers and root and crown rot.

Trees are one area where doing your homework quite intensively can pay
off handsomely.

Kay