Old 10-06-2007, 06:05 AM posted to sci.bio.food-science,sci.chem,rec.gardens.edible,sci.agriculture.fruit,sci.bio.botany
Bill Penrose Bill Penrose is offline

Default Why do ripe fruits - especially when canned - smell bad?

On Jun 9, 7:30 pm, Radium wrote:
I notice that many fruits [excluding apples] emit foul odors when
ripe. What chemicals are responsible for this?

1. Employees of canning plants are notorious for defecating in canned
fruit.

2. Lots of vegetable matter decomposes into unpleasant things with
time or heat. I have a grapefruit tree near my window, and there are
days it makes me gag.

3. The odor of apples consists of about nine main ingredients. Other
fruits are even more complex. Many of these smell pretty bad on their
own, Some of them break down in the canning process, and the ones left
behind might stink pretty badly.

4. Things like sulfur dioxide might be added to preserve the color
during canning.

5. Fruit that is canned is often fruit that's too rotten to sell.

Dangerous Bill