Old 10-06-2007, 04:46 PM posted to sci.bio.food-science,sci.chem,rec.gardens.edible,sci.agriculture.fruit,sci.bio.botany
Radium Radium is offline

Default Why do ripe fruits - especially when canned - smell bad?

On Jun 9, 11:46 pm, Omelet wrote:

snipped troll

You do this every year...
Last time it was on rec.food.cooking.

Get a life!

Excuse me. The questions I've asked about ripe fruits are not trolls.
I asking a serious question in a crosspost to all relevant newsgroups.
WTF does everyone think I am a spammer looking for attention?!

I did ask this question about ripe fruits last year. All I got was
nonsense responses -- some blaming it on my "genes" or nervous system.
Both which I know to be totally wrong.

Please abide by my humble request to answer my questions with serious,
rational answers [please, please, please]:

What chemicals are responsible for the foul smell of ripe fruits? Why
is the odor even worse if the fruits are canned?

I don't know what the answer is, but I do know that it is *not*
putricine, ethylene, butyric acid [or any acid/acidic substance for
that matter], ethanol, chemicals resulting from fungus, or chemicals
resulting from decomposition. In addition, the answer is nothing close
to what "Bill Penrose" [the goofball] claimed. I am guessing it is
most likely an organic substance [i.e. a compound containing carbon
and hydrogen] but none of those described above.

Please obey my desperate requests to answer rationally and as
correctly as you can. Please also keep out the jokes, humor, and off-
topic crap. It's not amusing.