Old 10-06-2007, 05:09 PM posted to sci.bio.food-science,sci.chem,rec.gardens.edible,sci.agriculture.fruit,sci.bio.botany
Omelet Omelet is offline

Default Why do ripe fruits - especially when canned - smell bad?

In article .com,
Radium wrote:

On Jun 9, 11:46 pm, Omelet wrote:

snipped troll

You do this every year...
Last time it was on rec.food.cooking.

Get a life!

Excuse me. The questions I've asked about ripe fruits are not trolls.
I asking a serious question in a crosspost to all relevant newsgroups.
WTF does everyone think I am a spammer looking for attention?!

I did ask this question about ripe fruits last year. All I got was
nonsense responses -- some blaming it on my "genes" or nervous system.
Both which I know to be totally wrong.

Please abide by my humble request to answer my questions with serious,
rational answers [please, please, please]:

What chemicals are responsible for the foul smell of ripe fruits? Why
is the odor even worse if the fruits are canned?

I don't know what the answer is, but I do know that it is *not*
putricine, ethylene, butyric acid [or any acid/acidic substance for
that matter], ethanol, chemicals resulting from fungus, or chemicals
resulting from decomposition. In addition, the answer is nothing close
to what "Bill Penrose" [the goofball] claimed. I am guessing it is
most likely an organic substance [i.e. a compound containing carbon
and hydrogen] but none of those described above.

Please obey my desperate requests to answer rationally and as
correctly as you can. Please also keep out the jokes, humor, and off-
topic crap. It's not amusing.

Okay, two questions.

Have you tried googling, and, why do you care?
If the fruit smells/tastes foul to you, just don't eat it!

The vast majority of us don't seem to have your problem so the genetic
issue is definitely a real partial reason. Your denial of that is
counterproductive.

And, if you do find out what you are looking for, what are you going to
do about it?

Okay, so that was 3 questions. ;-)

I don't find canned fruit to be foul odored or tasting. I love it. I
also prefer ripe fruit to green. To me, under-ripe fruit is sour and has
a crappy texture. Every single person that I am personally aquainted
with is in agreement.

Give me a half-melted peach any day over a rock hard one!

Since you seem to be over-sensitive, you might be able to make some
money as a scientific guinea pig.

You, my dear, are NOT NORMAL!
--
Peace, Om