Old 10-06-2007, 06:20 PM posted to sci.bio.food-science,sci.chem,rec.gardens.edible,sci.agriculture.fruit,sci.bio.botany
Michael Moroney Michael Moroney is offline

Default Why do ripe fruits - especially when canned - smell bad?

Radium writes:

On Jun 9, 11:46 pm, Omelet wrote:

I did ask this question about ripe fruits last year. All I got was
nonsense responses -- some blaming it on my "genes" or nervous system.
Both which I know to be totally wrong.

Why do you think those answers were 'nonsense' and 'totally wrong'?
If most people thought ripe fruits smelled bad, there simply wouldn't
be a market for ripe fruits whatsoever, especially canned fruit. The
fact that both sell well should tell you that most people _don't_ find
them bad smelling.

What chemicals are responsible for the foul smell of ripe fruits? Why
is the odor even worse if the fruits are canned?

You need to rephrase the question: "What chemicals are responsible for
making ripe fruit smell bad to me?" However, since we are not you, we
can't asnwer that. We don't know how or why your sense of smell is
different from most people.

I don't know what the answer is, but I do know that it is *not*
putricine, ethylene, butyric acid [or any acid/acidic substance for
that matter], ethanol, chemicals resulting from fungus, or chemicals
resulting from decomposition. In addition, the answer is nothing close
to what "Bill Penrose" [the goofball] claimed. I am guessing it is
most likely an organic substance [i.e. a compound containing carbon
and hydrogen] but none of those described above.

What you need to do is to find an organic chemist who knows what fairly
volatile compounds are common in ripe fruit, eliminate those you listed
above (other than acids, many odoriferous organic compounds are acids, and
ripe fruits certainly contain acids), eliminate those in unripe fruit and
ripe apples, and ask for a sniff test of the remaining compounds.

Please obey my desperate requests to answer rationally and as
correctly as you can. Please also keep out the jokes, humor, and off-
topic crap. It's not amusing.

If you are going to insist on dismissing what others have told you and
what should be obvious to you (there is something different about you),
and continue to claim ripe fruits smell bad rather than ripe fruits smell
bad to you, you're going to draw jokes and insults, or be dismissed as a
troll.

So are you really interested in an answer, or are you a troll? If
you really want an answer, nobody here can answer you, other than in an
organic chemistry lab.