Old 10-06-2007, 07:00 PM posted to sci.bio.food-science,sci.chem,rec.gardens.edible,sci.agriculture.fruit,sci.bio.botany
Omelet Omelet is offline

Default Why do ripe fruits - especially when canned - smell bad?

In article . com,
Bill Penrose wrote:

On Jun 10, 9:09 am, Omelet wrote:
In article .com,

Have you tried googling, and, why do you care?

In Radium's defense, there's not a lot of information out there on
food constituents. Food companies, who have done the most research in
this area, are extremely secretive about their stuff, much like
cosmeticians and perfumers.

Natural odors are usually pretty complex. The odor and flavor of
apples was reconstituted by blending nine pure chemicals previously
identified by GC/MS and other methods.

Coffee flavor, on the other hand, has at least 640 constituents.
Changes in any one of them may dramatically affect the flavor.

I know this shit because I worked for 14 years in electronic
olfaction, ie, using chemical sensors to simulate the 150 or so odor
receptors in the human olfactory epithelium. What we call an 'odor' is
generally a combination of responses from many of these sensors.

Good book: Turin's 'The Secret of Scent', the memoir of a professional
perfumer. Some fascinating insights on odor and chemical structure.
For example, the odors of many chemicals are independent of the
stereoisomerism -- an observation that should stop most chemists in
their tracks. Possibly the best chemistry-related light read of 2006.
I gave copies to friends.

Dangerous Bill

Sounds interesting. :-)

I have enough of a background in organic and biochemistry, I could
probably appreciate it.

Thanks for the recommend!
--
Peace, Om