Old 10-06-2007, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Propagating hardy geraniums

On 10/6/07 14:17, in article , "Alla
Bezroutchko" wrote:

I have planted some hardy geraniums - "Jolly Bee" and "Johnson's Blue"
and I love them and want more of them in my garden. From what I read,
the usual way of propagating is division. My plants are not big enough
for division - is it possible to propagate them by cuttings or by seeds?
If so, when and how?

You can propagate by division and by seed, though with seed you might get
some variation but that adds to the interest! G. Jolly Bee seems to grow
and spread very quickly.

Another question, can anyone recommend white, pink or purple hardy
geraniums? Now I've got blue ones, I want other colours too. Do they
really keep flowering all through the summer?

Have a look at this site:
http://www.penlanperennials.co.uk/ha...niums-c-9.html

G. Ann Folkard is one of my favourites - a fabulous magenta colour and I
really like G. Mourning Widow. That said, G. Jolly Bee is one of the best
around and goes on flowering far longer and better than G. Johnson's Blue,
IME. Depending on where you live, you could try G. palmatum and if you live
in a hot, dry climate, you could give G. maderense a go.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk