Old 10-06-2007, 03:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Klara Klara is offline

Default Propagating hardy geraniums

Alla Bezroutchko writes
I have planted some hardy geraniums - "Jolly Bee" and "Johnson's Blue"
and I love them and want more of them in my garden. From what I read,
the usual way of propagating is division. My plants are not big enough
for division - is it possible to propagate them by cuttings or by seeds?
If so, when and how?

Another question, can anyone recommend white, pink or purple hardy
geraniums? Now I've got blue ones, I want other colours too. Do they
really keep flowering all through the summer?
Alla.

I love them too - not least because they are so forgiving of my
catch-as-catch-can gardening, and they don't mind some shade! They do
flower much of the time, especially if you give them a good haircut
after the first flush.

Which? magazine recently had an article on them - they recommend

white

best: G. phaeum 'Album' and G. sanguineum 'Album'
most unusual : G. pratense 'Striatum'
worth considering: G. clarkei 'Kashmir White'

pink

Most interesting foliage: G. x riversleaianum 'Mavis Simpson'
Assessors' favourite: G. x monacense var. monacense 'Muldoon'
Best for flower power: G. 'Dilys'
Best for front of a border: G. sanguineum 'Glenluce' and G. sanguineum
var. striatum
Best for early flowering: G. phaeum 'Lily Lovell'
Worth considering: G. 'Anne Folkard'

blue

Best space filler: G. 'Orion'
Best autumn display: G. wlassovianum
Best blue colour/ Long lived blue: G. 'Johnson's Blue' and G. 'Brookside
Worth considering: G. sylvaticum 'Amy Doncaster', G. pratense 'Plenum
Caeruleum'

no violet or purple, but I would have considered many of those they call
blue or pink more like purple. Try google images to see which you like!

For propagation they only consider division, but you can pot up very
small ones...

--
Klara, Gatwick basin