Old 10-06-2007, 11:17 PM posted to rec.gardens
Pennyaline Pennyaline is offline

Default NEED Recommendations under Maple

Garbodanno wrote:

"Freckles" wrote in message

I understand Begonias do well in heavy shade. I have an area under a
couple of trees where I intend to plant some Begonias this Autumn.

They're not very attractive in heavy shade. They're spindly and have few
or no flowers.

Seconded. Begonias like shade but need some sun for best leaf color and
flowers. OP, avoid planting just for flowers and go with the suggestions
for colorful foliage plants *in containers*. Caladium are gorgeous, as
are the hostas and huecheras. But it can't be said enough: colorful
shade tolerant plants need some sun to put on their best show. If you
have your plants in containers, you can move them in and out of light if
you have to. Further, you are in Zone 4. Some of your foliage plants
(like caladium) need to come out of the cold. If they're in containers
it's easy as pie to "lift" them in the fall.