Old 10-06-2007, 11:23 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Gill Passman Gill Passman is offline

Default OK - the first pond starts tomorrow

~ jan wrote:
Sounds good to me, Gill. As long as you work with a low fish load, a veggie
filter will be fine. If the next section of pond is going to be bigger and
deeper you might want to consider a bottom drain & skimmer at the time.
Maintenance wise they make life simpler.

What is your plan regarding keeping the fish from eating the frog eggs? I
always pulled my goldfish out in the spring and put them back when the
tadpoles were big enough not to be eaten. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

My main concern right now is to get the frogs to a place of safety while
the construction work is going on......I have a cunning plan of getting
the school to take them into their natural pond....afterall I'm pretty
sure that that is where they came from in the first place.....

As with every project things are going on a pace and expanding all the
time - especially now hubbie is involved and digging......I'm not sure
about a bottom drain but we are definitely now on to filter and
UV.......if he keeps on digging deeper we are considering Koi - the size
is now in the upper 100's of galls......

House has been full of mud today......I am so, so glad we don't have
carpets....to be fair some of it has come from yesterday's off-roading
the Land Rover so not all my pond to blame.....

Gill