Old 11-06-2007, 02:54 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Default Pollinating happening without the bees

John Bachman expounded:

Same here in NH. My beekeeper friend is reporting a good year with
30% winter loses - normal for him and below normal for others in the
area. The colonies he keeps on my property are busy, busy, busy.

New England in general didn't suffer as much from colony collapse,
more from the strange winter. All of our hives (in MA and ME) are
doing extremely well.

The reports of bee problems may be isolated to areas that use single
crop practices. Our honey bees are happily servicing the clover that
I use for ground cover, the raspberries and strawberries. Of course
they covered the fruit trees when they were in bloom. My friend
believes that provided a varied and balanced food supply has much to
do with the good results.

The need for variety is true, however, there is also no proof that the
bee problems are isolated to areas of single crop practices. The
experts have not spoken, the internet rumors are rampant.

For those who think that I am a heathen because I use insecticides, I
do so right next to the bee hives with no ill effects. Maybe I ain't
such a bad guy after all.

Depends entirely on what kinds of insecticides. No matter, I'd still
not be very pleased with a neighbor who uses insecticides. We're on
the no spray list with the county, also, so they won't be spraying for
mosquitos near our hives.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts