Old 11-06-2007, 05:54 AM posted to rec.gardens
John McWilliams John McWilliams is offline

Default Recommended groundcovers

John McGaw wrote:
gary wrote:
What attractive, flowering groundcovers that grow no taller than
6" (under 3" would be best) would you recommend that will grow well
under these conditions:

I live in Riverside, California (about 60 miles east of Los Angeles).
I'm in USDA Zone 8b or Sunset Zone 19.

The summer high-temperatures may get up to 115 degrees
The winter low-temperatures may get down to 15 degrees.

One-third of my garden is partly-shaded by a deciduous tree from March
through December but the rest of my garden is in full-sun.

You could always fall back on that old CALTRANS standby of Carpobrotus
edulis or Ice Plant.

Ah. I thought it was crapobotus.

It grew very well along the freeway ramps all the
way up to at least San Jose. Grows _too_ well in fact since it seems to
have become an invasive species but if you could manage to keep yours
under control it was always a fine ground cover especially where water
shortage was a concern. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_plant

It got way N. of San Jose. It was a problem to remove it at Crissy Field
[SF] during its restoration ca. 10 years ago.

You may deduce I loathe it.

--
john mcwilliams