Old 10-06-2007, 02:11 PM posted to aus.gardens
Ed Adamthwaite Ed Adamthwaite is offline

Default Placement of greenhouse?

Hi Linda,
I have a 3m x 6.5m plastic hot-house in the Dandenongs. Due to placement
limitations I have had to align it NNE to SSW. As far as over-heating goes,
I have found that if it is a cloudless day, it will on average multiply the
outside air temperature by 2.2. So if the predicted high for the day is 20,
I get a high of 44 inside. This is the maximum you should go to as most
veggies transperation rate above 40~44 exceeds the root moisture uptake
rate. Wilting occurs and the plants die if the temperature stays at that for
too long.
I open one end to allow airflow if the predicted temperature is 20 ~ 25.
Above 25 I open both ends.
Invest about $18 in a Min/Max thermometer, this way you can track the
temperature and get a feel for it.

BTW, if you prepare the ground inside properly, (get the Ph and dispersion
properties correct) and use plenty of good compost, you'll be amazed by the
bountiful harvest. I had tomatoes before Christmas last year. I got over 50
kilos from one grafted apollo I bought at Bunnings. Just on tomatoes, I
reckon
the hot house multiplies the yield by 10. The Fowlers Vacola preserving kit
has
worked overtime. I am still getting cucumbers and basil from plants that I
put in last year.I have spaghetti sauce and cucumber pickles to last all
through winter! Currently bok choi and spinach are sprouting.
Peas, zuchinni and pupkin are no-nos, they get powdery mildue.

If you enjoy gardening and go about using your hot house methodically,
you'll find that your fortuitous blow-in is one of the best things that
could happen.
Have fun!

Cheers,
Ed.

"Linda H" wrote in message
u...
Loosecanon wrote:

My thoughts are to align it east-west (that is the longest sides) so you
harvest as much sunlight in winter as possible.

Richard

Thanks Richard - I thought maybe that but I wondered if it'd get TOO hot
out of winter times - I guess that wouldn't matter, huh, with the humidity
it'd create?