Old 11-06-2007, 06:22 AM posted to austin.gardening
Dave Dave is offline

Default Environment

"Alan C Denman" wrote in message
Grow more plants and help clean up the air!

Plants normally grown in the garden don't clean up the air. They produce an
insignificant amount of oxygen. Would be interested in the effect of
substantial amount of carbon monoxide on such plants.

Another thing you could do is leave your car at home and take the bus.

No bus goes through west of Wimberley.

A new Yahoo group has been formed for people who use Capital Metro busses
in Austin Texas called http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busridersaustin/

It is meant for discussion, meeting and advocacy of issues important to
Austinites who rely on public transit.

I did search around before I started it but didn't find anything like this
group.

Okay, I'll use that as a platform. I have an older VW, runs great 33
average mpg. VW's high beam indicator in dash failed, not light bulb.
Found to be internal to the dash electronics. Failed state safety
inspection as a result. Took me a few months to find a replacement. In the
meantime, I had to drive a 2001 Dodge V6 truck that get about 1/2 the mpg as
result, worse in city driving. Did I say that 290 West between Loop 1 and
William Cannon is using half of the gasoline consumed by all the cars in
Austin? Don't believe, just go there at anytime during normal commuter
traffic times afternoon/evening. Last time I go to Austin for part of my
VW.

"Funny" thing about it is that I can obviously see the difference between my
normal headlights and high beams. Its very obvious. I don't use well lit
roads which aids to that observation. Oncoming traffic is quick to note my
high beams by using theirs as well.

At least I was "safe" not driving the VW, I guess... and making much more
CO/CO2 in the meantime driving the truck.

I wouldn't use and depend on a timely schedule a bus that's managed by any
governmental organization or a subcontractor to same. Timeliness of
personal transport don't rhyme with any governmental organization.
Privatized rail makes more sense, but that requires something like some
substantial walking if not driving at all and parking for all those CO
producers if driving to a parking area.

What does make a whole lotta sense is to be employed within some reasonable
distance from the home where a CO producing automobile or bus is not
required. Same for shopping. Naw, that makes too much sense. Let's keep
dribbling slow solutions at a big problem. Keep doing things the same old
way with slow, slow changes along the way.

Not ready for it. Your job, your home, your way of life would be
drastically changed? Guess what, the alternative later down the road will
do alot more to change that.

Yep, ride the bus... What a crock.
Dave