Old 11-06-2007, 10:26 AM posted to rec.gardens
George.com George.com is offline

Default Applying P & K

"Billy Rose" wrote in message
In article ,
"George.com" wrote:

Bill. When you say bone meal is not very soluable, are we talking here
about:

1. Something that time will resolve, ie is it is slow release?
2. Or are we talking about something that is distance related, ie it

will
not work down into the soil & plants root systems if used as a top

dressing
(unless dragged down by worms maybe)?

Thanks
rob

We are talking not very, when talking about bone meal. Which is to say
it doesn't dissolve as quickly as sugar but much more quickly than
glass. Depending on its' formulation, phosphates can dissolve slowly or
quickly. Rock Phosphate, Bone Meal, Single Super Phosphate, Triple Super
Phosphate are your choices. Use half as much as the instructions say.
These folks depend on return customers, and the faster you use it, the
sooner you'll be back.

Hope I helped.

yeah, sort of, thanks. Maybe just given me an extra variable to think about
but so be it. I use blood & bone on the lawn sometimes however the
phosphoros likely doesn't break down quickly enough to benefit grass seeding
in early spring. I ain't going to till it in neither as it is the lawn.
Obviously dig in a little when planting veges however.

I also use wood ash which is good for K but which I think is much more
readily available to plants. I am considering trying that out on the lawn as
well in smallish amounts. It will slightly alter the soil ph but that is ok
given slightly acidic soils.

rob