Old 11-06-2007, 01:12 PM posted to rec.gardens
FragileWarrior FragileWarrior is offline

Default Lilly barely hanging on.

wrote in news:1181540082.728787.26460
@i38g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

On Jun 10, 6:56 pm, Ann wrote:
expounded:

My wife and I have this lilly, at least she tells me it's a lilly,
that is in really bad shape. Every couple of weeks it gets a new
healthy looking green leaf. Within a few days, however, this new

leaf
starts to get a dark, limp area on one edge, that spreads over the
next couple of days until it is a withered mess.

The entire plant has only one reasonable leaf on it, and that one is
on its way out. What is wrong with this plant?

Thanks, Mike

Where are you located? Are there slimy lumps (for lack of a better
description) along the stem? Are there fingernail-red beetles
anywhere near the plant (they fall on the ground on their backs if
they sense you coming near - their bottomside is black, so they blend
into the ground). Look for red lily beetles and say goodby to your
lily unless you want to haul out the largely ineffective chemical guns
(or hand-pick the feces covered larvae and dispose of them, a very
tedious task if you've got lots of lilies).
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

None of that, thank goodness. This is a potted, indoor plant. It's
possible it's not getting enough sunlight.

Mike

And/or waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much water.