Old 11-06-2007, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Push mowers - am I deluded!?

In article 1181559524.852626@xnews001, Rick writes:

| Am I being naive in believing that modern contactless mowers (that'll
| be the Brill, then) are actually easy to use and functional, or are my
| advisers (that'll be the in-laws, then) right?

A cheap hover mower is typically a disaster, as all of the first ones
(yes, Flymo, that means you) were. Some may be OK.

A relatively cheap electric rotary, of the sort that you push, is very
simple and fairly reliable. Their wheels are generally plastic crap,
though, and I have had to disable the safety handle on safety grounds
more than once ....

The only real problem with a machine that turns a cylinder by you
pushing is that it gouges holes if the ground is soft and the grass
thick, as happens after 2 weeks solid rain in summer.

But there is NO problem with ones where the power only turns the
cutter, and you push the mower, or a ride -on one powered by pedals
(though I don't think that you can buy one of them).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.