Old 11-06-2007, 02:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Omelet Omelet is offline

Default arugula

In article .com,
James wrote:

On Jun 11, 4:47 am, jimnginger wrote:
On Jun 10, 11:13?am, James wrote:

The ones I planted 6" apart per instructions are bolting. The
unthinned overcrowded ones haven't bolted yet and have bigger and
juicier leaves. Tastes about the same.

The ones with room to grow to the fullest extent are bolting
completing their task. The ones crowded together cannot bolt as
nutrients and space is at a premium and they are unable to bolt. Best
thing to do is to plant with adequate space, harvest, and replant with
something else if your climate permits multiple planting within the
same season. Regards - Jim

I think I'm better off overcrowding them to delay bolting. That way
in effect extending the season. It's only 6" X 24" patch. I'm
pinching off a few leaves everyday.

I appreciate you posting this.
I may have to try this for lettuce. :-)
--