Old 11-06-2007, 03:04 PM posted to sci.bio.food-science,sci.chem,rec.gardens.edible,sci.agriculture.fruit,sci.bio.botany
Rozagy Rozagy is offline

Default Why do ripe fruits - especially when canned - smell bad?

On Jun 10, 8:12?pm, Radium wrote:
On Jun 10, 9:38 am, Bill Penrose wrote:

On Jun 9, 10:12 pm, Radium wrote:

On Jun 9, 10:05 pm, Bill Penrose wrote:

snip fertilizer of sarcasm

No offense but if you're going to answer, please do so with serious
you're purposely goofing around.

Then omit number one. The rest are reasonable explanations, plus the
possibility that you may have one of the many forms of anosmia.
Usually it is just age, but sometimes changes in the sense of smell
are the first symptoms of a brain tumor.

Have a nice day.

DB

The only disease I am diagnosed with isAsperger'ssyndrome. I got a
brain scan 5 months ago, no anomalies -- such as tumors. In addition,
I am only 23, so you can take 'age' off the list. I've also taken
smell tests in my organic chemistry lab. I've takes organic chemistry
as a course in my college. Long list of chemicals I've gone through.
Still no answer to the stench of ripe fruits. In addition, none of the
chemicals I sniffed even remotely smell like ripe fruit.

My guess is the stink of ripe fruits is a result of a mixture of
different organic substances, excluding the following:

1. putricine

2. ethylene [sweet smell]

3. butyric acid [or any acid/acidic substance for that matter]

4. ethanol [sweet smell resembling most alcoholic beverages]

4. chemicals resulting from fungus

5. chemicals resulting from decomposition- Hide quoted text -

That's great to know, Radium.

Only Asperger's is NOT a disease. It's a different formation of the
brain. It works faster than the "normal" brain model and is capable of
faster learning, better memory and the capacity for concentration
Asperger's associated with means that the person with AS has greater
chances of excelling in his or her chosen area of study/research/
profesional undertaking.

Autism (both in men and women) is a manifestation of extreme male
intelligence and tends to gravitate towards the logical rather than
emotional, true. Aspies make decisions based on facts which sometimes
is not a bad thing! (that's why you won't find a racist among Autistic
people: racism is not logical).

Not being able to always read body language/ have eye contact/
popensity towards dyslexia/ hypergraphia/ difficulty in recognising
when others are lying is an inconvenience by society's standarts,
true. But it's NOT a disease!! LOL :-))))

Roza

xxx

Artistic Autistic
www.myspace.com/rozagy