Old 11-06-2007, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David \(Normandy\) David \(Normandy\) is offline

Default Push mowers - am I deluded!?

The only real problem with a machine that turns a cylinder by you
pushing is that it gouges holes if the ground is soft and the grass
thick, as happens after 2 weeks solid rain in summer.
Nick Maclaren.

My parents had one of those manual push mowers with the roller on the back.
It was often my job to push the retched thing around one a week. And like
you say, if the growth was too thick it was a real pain to push - I had to
take repeated plunges at the grass to cut it rather than walk continuously
onwards with it. Enough to put anyone off lawns for life.

However, being a sucker for punishment we now have around an acre of lawn!
We only have a self propelled rotary type mower, which despite being a darn
site easier than any sort of push mower still entails a substantial amount
of walking and emptying of the grass box. It also needs a little help going
up a slope. I had to smile to myself on Saturday while mowing the lawn
adjacent to our neighbours - I was pacing up and down behind the blessed
mower, drenched in sweat and our neighbour rode out on his sit on mower,
giving me a wave and pointing down smugly at his new mower. I waved back and
smiled sweetly. Git! I hate smug b***ards! Or more accurately I envy his
mower. Mutter, mutter, curse, grumble!

David.