Old 11-06-2007, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Sticky Yellow Cards

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 11 Jun, 16:28, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
Um - I don't know which you mean ...

Mary!?! There's a grey looking building on the right as you arrive at
the bottom of your road - looks ancient!! Arched windows and fabulous
designs on the door with considerable grounds. Looked like kids in
there.

It's a hostel for young refugees now. When we first moved here it was the
home and practice of a GP. I think originally it was something
ecclesiastical - there's a carved mitre in the wall, but I've never been
able to find out. There's not much garden though except at the front and I
wouldn't grow veggies next to the main road.

Oh - perhaps you meant the Victoria Institute - the church hall. The grounds
at the back were grass tennis courts until they weren't used any more then
the council took over the maintenance of the grounds.

Both those buildings and the church were late C19th, not at all ancient
(compared with what we're used to!).

On the other side, is it a church?

Yes, St Martin's, my grandparents were married there when it was new, my
parents married there, we married there, most of our children were baptised
there and some were in the choir, we've made things for the inside - we have
a long connection with it.

I didn't know they were around until recently. We used to have fly
papers -
a coil of sticky paper which traps flies in the house - but the yellow
cards
are supplied for garden and greenhouse use, especially for whitefly and
aphid. I got them from the Green Gardener, perhaps they don't realise
that
the cards aren't selective.

I had a look on the website coz I bought some stuff there before - the
aphids are attracted by the bright yellow colour. Now, maybe the
ladybirds too. Sadly. And not sure what you could do.

No :-(

Mary