Old 11-06-2007, 11:49 PM posted to rec.arts.bonsai
Jim Lewis Jim Lewis is offline

Default what can i do with a 6ft horsechestnut?

Cast-it Admin wrote:
Hi,

I know nothing about bonsai or even basic pruning techniques of trees.

My son planted a conker 12 years ago in an old flower pot. Aft a few
transplants it is now 6ft tall and is an ideal size for new little patch of
England - can I use bonsai techniques to keep it at that kind of height and
still maintain an attractive looking tree?

If so, can someone give me some hints please

Ron

The key "bonsai technique" is keeping the roots tightly
constrained and in a pot, so if this is planted in a "new little
patch of England" that technique would be not available to you.

However, you always can prune a tree down to some pleasing size.
I don't think horsechestnuts are very large trees, anyway, are
they?

Jim Lewis - - Columbus, NC - We have failed to
examine our love affair with technology. . . . Today's problems
are all too often yesterday's solutions. Stephen Viederman,
Jesse Smith Noyes Foundation