Old 11-06-2007, 11:55 PM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default splayed celery

"HC" wrote in message
G'day Kylie

While I haven't grown celery for ages my old grandfather taught me many
moons ago to plant the celery in a trench, then when it starts to grow,
tie a full newspaper (or cardboard) around the plant with twine and
backfill the trench. This makes the plant grow tall (to reach the light)
and keeps the celery stalks bunched and light in colour. When the bunch
is almost mature you can remove the newspaper and the outer stalks will
green up in a day or so ready to pick.

Unsupported as you've done is still Ok, but the plants won't bunch as you
normally see them in the supermarket.

Maybe other people have different ways of doing it but this worked for me.

thanks bronwyn!

i got so far as putting them in trenches (on the advice of some book or
other) so i think i will wrap most of them & see how they go! (i don't want
to wrap them all - as i said dh is getting into them so i wouldn't want to
deny him anything g). what you have said sounds like the solution! thanks.
kylie

Bronwyn ;-)

0tterbot wrote:
hello,

i put in some celery a while ago (which has proved to be one of the
easiest things i've ever grown - highly recommended!) however, i rather
assumed celery grows up tall like they look in the shops g, but mine is
all splayed out.

does anyone know if i'm actually supposed to tie up the bunches while in
the ground, or something? i've got a biggish crop in & they're already
out of room (dh has been thinning them out & eating them, they're about
1/2 grown) so i'm not sure what to do next, or if it's all actually fine
& i don't need to do anything.

as usual ta for any tips!!!
kylie