Old 11-06-2007, 09:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default new idea for barrier to stop slugs

On 1 Jun, 08:32, T i m wrote:
Maybe I could solder a single hoop of wire to the coil top / bottom to
finish it off?

All sounds so so complicated. I've used copper rings for years now.
Every year I've bought some and I've now got enough to protect my
young seedlings and then move them about for the new one as I go
along. I've used copper strips with sticky back on pots and trough and
even on canes. It really works. A friend has bought herself some
copper hand tools (for the magnetism it gives to the soil but also as
a slug deterrent) and they have now become widely used. However, if
your plant hangs out of the loop, you'll provide a bridge for slugs
and snails, or if you leave a gap they'll go through it. I've recently
seen a picture of a slug going over a razor blade with no problem.
Makes you think what they can do!

http://www.greengardener.co.uk/slugextra.htm
http://www.slugrings.co.uk/
http://www.rootrainers.co.uk/gardene...ls/coppertools