Old 11-06-2007, 10:59 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Gill Passman Gill Passman is offline

Default OK - the first pond starts tomorrow

k wrote:
Ah, stealth frogs!

We once had a mass froggy nursery going
at school when a teacher de-frogged her
parents' pool cover. We had eggs, tadpoles
and frogs trying to escape being chased by
second graders up and down the hallways.

k :-)

They have a tank of tadpoles already in the classroom.....I'm not overly
concerned that if my chap does a runner (or I catch him and give
him/them to the school) that they won't be back.....

The pond is ending up much bigger than I had hoped for....the joys of
letting dear hubby take over the project and then him think my ideas are
his own.......might even end up big enough and deep enough for Koi....

Right now we have a massive lump of concrete to break up that runs
through the middle of the pond.....personally I think it would make a
great bridge but the practicalities of lining the thing have been
pointed out....but maybe......however, sadly, on the boys and toys thing
I think he is looking forward to using the power tool to demolish it.....

Not done too much today on it.......hurt my shoulder digging yesterday
and I'm nowhere near as efficient as hubby in shifting the soil....and
if he has volunteered I'm not complaining....shame we can't get a digger
round the back but it is no go.....even the foundations for our
conservatory (6 foot deep plus) had to be dug by hand......and your
standard UK builder would have got a digger in if they could.....lol

Bog garden got sacrificed.....we needed somewhere to put
soil.....amazing how much comes out......all my irises are sitting in a
wooden planter lined with plastic and saturated (anyone in the UK want
some yellow irises????)....shame is that it was the wrong time to move
them as they are just starting to flower....but boy......I'm not going
to need to buy any irises for the bog part of the pond....I find it
incredible how many plants you end up with as you start to split the
things (they have been in situ for 5 years).......

So now I have another part of the garden to replan.....I don't mind I
love it......

Gill