Old 12-06-2007, 03:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster Kay Lancaster is offline

Default Emergency patching of brown area in lawn

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 09:08:17 -0800, tenplay wrote:
I have no idea what the chemical was, but it sure is persistent. I'll
ask a neighbor or two, but I'll probably have to buy the sod. It makes
sense to replace the soil directly under the brown area. I have a large
yard so replacement soil is readily available. Thanks for the advice. Mike

Because sod is typically grown under very high fertilization, the sod
patch you put in front should probably come from your own yard... even if
the donor spot you use is from the back yard, and you patch
that with commercial sod. The commercial sod is
likely to be much greener than your own lawn, and differences will remain
even if you fertilize the rest of the lawn. That bright green patch is
going to look as odd as the brown patch now. At least to me it would.

Also different cultivars of grasses and mixtures of grasses have different
overall color.. so patching from your own lawn in a prominent position
like this gives you a better chance of blending the patch in.

Kay