Old 12-06-2007, 05:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Glenna Rose Glenna Rose is offline

Default Lemon Balm

writes:
Billy Rose expounded:

Anybody grow lemon balm before? Did yours have some pink leaves and
stems that were pink at their base? Did the lemon balm have a distinct
lemon flavor when it was small?

My lemon balm has a distinct lemon smell in all sizes, even the tiny guys.
It is invasive so don't plant it where you don't want it forever. Mine
has migrated to the lawn even.

Regarding pink leaves, I don't think mine has ever been pink though that
might depend on soil and sun conditions.

I love the plant, mostly because of its crisp green color and the
delightful lemon smell. Though I do use it for tea occasionally, my
favorite practical use is to put it in the garbage disposal for the
wonderful smell, especially if something not so pleasant was put in the
disposal, even the fish smell is overridden with it.

I'll go out and look at it in the morning. Lemon balm is the herb of
the year for the Herb Society of America. Here's some info til then
http://herbsociety.org/lemonbalm/index.php

Thank you for that page, Ann. It is wonderful, especially the pages for
kids!

Glenna