Old 12-06-2007, 05:03 AM posted to austin.gardening
Dave Dave is offline

Default Environment

"George.com" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message
nk.net...
"Alan C Denman" wrote in message
Grow more plants and help clean up the air!

Plants normally grown in the garden don't clean up the air. They produce

an
insignificant amount of oxygen. Would be interested in the effect of
substantial amount of carbon monoxide on such plants.

Another thing you could do is leave your car at home and take the bus.

No bus goes through west of Wimberley.

A new Yahoo group has been formed for people who use Capital Metro

busses
in Austin Texas called http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busridersaustin/

It is meant for discussion, meeting and advocacy of issues important to
Austinites who rely on public transit.

I did search around before I started it but didn't find anything like

this
group.

Okay, I'll use that as a platform. I have an older VW, runs great 33
average mpg. VW's high beam indicator in dash failed, not light bulb.
Found to be internal to the dash electronics. Failed state safety
inspection as a result. Took me a few months to find a replacement. In

the
meantime, I had to drive a 2001 Dodge V6 truck that get about 1/2 the mpg

as
result, worse in city driving. Did I say that 290 West between Loop 1
and
William Cannon is using half of the gasoline consumed by all the cars in
Austin? Don't believe, just go there at anytime during normal commuter
traffic times afternoon/evening. Last time I go to Austin for part of my
VW.

"Funny" thing about it is that I can obviously see the difference between

my
normal headlights and high beams. Its very obvious. I don't use well
lit
roads which aids to that observation. Oncoming traffic is quick to note

my
high beams by using theirs as well.

At least I was "safe" not driving the VW, I guess... and making much
more
CO/CO2 in the meantime driving the truck.

I wouldn't use and depend on a timely schedule a bus that's managed by
any
governmental organization or a subcontractor to same. Timeliness of
personal transport don't rhyme with any governmental organization.
Privatized rail makes more sense,

sorry Dave, not where I come from. Here in New Zealand privatisation of
the
rail network & rail operations was a near disaster. A series of owners,
both
rapacious merchant finance type asset strippers and US rail operators
drove
down the condition of both our rail network and rolling stock. The govt
actually bought back the rail and has invested significant money in it and
will continue to do so through electrification and double tracking, $600
million NZ over the next few years. New rolling stock for city public
transport is also highly central govt/local govt funded. Rail as a
feasible,
and successful, solution to road congestion and human enduced climactic
change is heavily dependent on government intervention.

rob

Yup, you're right. Any organization or persons that own rail are bound to
abuse it. History of privately owned, and lately, share owned
(corporations) industries in the states has similar history. There's no
solution. Let's all die in desperation, destitution, and denial. Leave
that legacy to our children and grandchildren. What a crock.
Dave