Old 12-06-2007, 09:47 AM posted to rec.gardens
Charles T. Smith Charles T. Smith is offline

Default An "American Oak" tree problem

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 19:55:08 -0700, David E. Ross wrote:

Charles T. Smith wrote:
We bought and planted a tree that was called an "American Oak" about 3
years ago. It's currently about 3 - 4 cm (2 - 3 inches) in diameter.

A few days ago, I discovered a hole in the trunk, about 170 cm's from
the ground (under 6 ft). The hole itself is about 1.5 cm's in diameter
(just under an inch). A wire detected that it went about 15 cm up and 4
cms down (about a foot up and a few inches down).

After probing with the wire, I looked away for an instant, and then had
the distinct impression that I saw something out of the corner of my eye
pop its head out of the hole for a fraction of a second. I wasn't able
to get it again. It looked like a huge worm or something. Or maybe it
didn't happen. But something made that hole.

The hole occupies about 20% of the diameter of the trunk.

My question: will the tree grow in respect to the size of the hole, so
that the hole becomes insignicant, or will the hole "grow" with the
tree?

Should I cut it down now instead of pealing it off my house later?

Should I fill the hole with anything?

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

I would be concerned that a hole that size would substantially weaken the
trunk. Even as a small tree, it might easily break in the next wind
storm. Thus, I would remove and replace it.

Yes, I guess you're right... unfortunately. I was hoping I could ignore
it and it would go away.

First, however, I would consult a local aborist or horticulturist to
identify what pest made the hole. Then, you might be able to either plant
something that does not attract such a pest or else be able to block it
from damaging anything else.

I actually hadn't intended to buy anything exotic ... we have oaks here
in southern Germany ... but maybe it really was from a different clima.
Your point makes me think that the garden shop did me a disservice.

The "World Book of Trees" and Sunset's "Western Garden Book" list many
oaks (genus Quercus) with common names indicating European and Asian
nations as well as states within the U.S. However, neither work lists an
"American oak". Was it possibly an "Armenian oak" (Q. pontica)?

Well, it was clearly presented as an American oak, but that could have
just been sloppy naming.