Old 12-06-2007, 11:40 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Davy Davy is offline

Default Parrots' Feather infestation!

I have had experience of parrots feather in quite large ponds - but not as
large as 1 acre.
We had to pump the water out then overlay with about 2" earth or black
polythene. After 18 months the parrot feather is gone - as has everything
else.
Upon refilling many former plants will regenerate from seed.

Sorry to give you the bad news,

Davy

"rmx256" wrote in message
Hello all!

I'm very happy to see this newsgroup! I'm a moderately experienced
ponder with both earthen and lined ponds. My father in law, however,
has a large (1 acre plus) artificial lake that he dug and has stocked
for fishing. It's really very nice. But someone gave him some parrots'
feather because he commented that his pond didn't have a lot of plants
in it- and now all he has is a surface that is almost totally covered
with parrots' feather! All that is not is the deepest part of the pond.
He's tried pulling it out by boatload, alicides, and 'many other things'
and between the two of us we have no solution other than to pump the
pond out and bulldoze it all out. Does anyone else have any ideas
before he has to destroy his pond?

Thanks!
rik