Old 12-06-2007, 04:08 PM posted to rec.gardens
Charles T. Smith Charles T. Smith is offline

Default An "American Oak" tree problem

Good news! Thank you.

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 09:41:28 -0500, dr-solo wrote:

the hole will not get any bigger as the tree grows and as long as water is
not allowed to get into the hole it wont rot. Most of any tree is dead, in
fact, 98% of a redwood is dead wood. the only part of the tree that is
alive is right under the bark, the leaves, the roots.
at this point I would be worried about that something eating or laying
eggs in the hole, so I would flush with an insecticide. then tape the
hole shut without encircling the whole trunk. as the tree grows the
bark/growing layer will grow out until it meets and closes the entrance
(more or less).

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 19:16:08 +0200, "Charles T. Smith"
wrote:

We bought and planted a tree that was called an "American Oak" about 3
years ago. It's currently about 3 - 4 cm (2 - 3 inches) in diameter.

A few days ago, I discovered a hole in the trunk, about 170 cm's from the
ground (under 6 ft). The hole itself is about 1.5 cm's in diameter (just
under an inch). A wire detected that it went about 15 cm up and 4 cms
down (about a foot up and a few inches down).

After probing with the wire, I looked away for an instant, and then had
the distinct impression that I saw something out of the corner of my eye
pop its head out of the hole for a fraction of a second. I wasn't able
to get it again. It looked like a huge worm or something. Or maybe it
didn't happen. But something made that hole.

The hole occupies about 20% of the diameter of the trunk.

My question: will the tree grow in respect to the size of the hole, so
that the hole becomes insignicant, or will the hole "grow" with the tree?

Should I cut it down now instead of pealing it off my house later?

Should I fill the hole with anything?

Any thoughts will be appreciated.