Old 12-06-2007, 04:11 PM posted to rec.gardens
Charles T. Smith Charles T. Smith is offline

Default An "American Oak" tree problem

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 07:14:07 -0700, Sheldon wrote:

On Jun 11, 1:16?pm, "Charles T. Smith" wrote:
We bought and planted a tree that was called an "American Oak" about 3
years ago. It's currently about 3 - 4 cm (2 - 3 inches) in diameter.

A few days ago, I discovered a hole in the trunk, about 170 cm's from
the ground (under 6 ft). The hole itself is about 1.5 cm's in diameter
(just under an inch). A wire detected that it went about 15 cm up and 4
cms down (about a foot up and a few inches down).

After probing with the wire, I looked away for an instant, and then had
the distinct impression that I saw something out of the corner of my eye
pop its head out of the hole for a fraction of a second. I wasn't able
to get it again. It looked like a huge worm or something. Or maybe it
didn't happen. But something made that hole.

The hole occupies about 20% of the diameter of the trunk.

My question: will the tree grow in respect to the size of the hole, so
that the hole becomes insignicant, or will the hole "grow" with the
tree?

Should I cut it down now instead of pealing it off my house later?

Should I fill the hole with anything?

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Sounds like a tree borer. You probably did see it. I would try standing
guard duty for a while and perchance it will emerge again and you can stab
it with a barbed stick and yank it out. Also being such a young tree is
in your favor becaue it can't be very deep as it could in a much larger
tree, so there is probably just the one rather than a colony. If I had no
luck in grasping the borer I would attempt to flush it out with a strong
jet of water from a garden hose. Once it's out there is no reason you
couldn't pack the hole completely, cement will work. The tree will heal
and within 2-3 years you shouldn't even be able to find the remnants of
that hole. But more importantly keep watch that more borers don't attack
that tree or other trees as they are likely in your soil. You probably
should adhere to a regimen of the proper insecticide applications.

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/Pubs/insect/05530.html

Thank you! The web site is a bit much to look at, but I'll get my wife to
handle it - she's not as much of a chicken as I am.