Old 12-06-2007, 05:26 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy Rose Billy Rose is offline

Default Lemon Balm

In article ,
FragileWarrior wrote:

Billy Rose wrote in news:rosefam-
:

In article . com,
mleblanca wrote:

On Jun 11, 6:23 pm, Billy Rose wrote:
Anybody grow lemon balm before? Did yours have some pink leaves and
stems that were pink at their base? Did the lemon balm have a

distinct
lemon flavor when it was small?

- Billy

Billy
Yes I grow Lemon Balm, or rather, it grows itself. It's been over 10
years since I actually planted it, and it comes up someplace in the
garden every year.

I have never seen any pink on it at all, not on leaves nor stems.
Yes, it has a lemon flavor, but mostly a very distinct lemon odor when
the leaves are crushed (even when it's just a tiny seedling) That's
the
way I identify it early on. Very pleasant and fresh scent.

Emilie

Very odd. I have three unidentified mints from last year. Why they came
up this year, I have no idea. On the other hand I have three lemon balm
grown from seed this year which have the same lower pink leaves and
lower pink stalks, but, as yet, no lemon perfume.

Hopefully the parfum will arrive tout a suite.

- Billy

And they have square stems, right?

Did you have a lot of mints planted close together last year? You might
have a hybrid.

My bad. The ones from this year are rounder than the mint from last year
(narrower, more spear-tip type of thing) but they both show the pink
leaves and lower stalks. Both were grown in potting soil for germination
although last year's are in normal potting soil now. Yeah, square stem
and serrated margins on the leaves. I'll see if I still have the seed
package and read what it says. I'm going to re-pot what I've planted
until I make-up my mind about how I feel about them (this year's lemon
balm).

- Billy