Old 12-06-2007, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected][_2_] vegtables@googlemail.com[_2_] is offline

Default Help please getting started growing vegetables

Well, I just cut my first 10ft x 3ft bit of plot and planted out my
runner beans.

After some serious thinking and measuring and thinking and re-
measuring we've worked out where we want to end up. We've identified
where the first plot will be and I've just dug the first strip of it.
Now I need to get some 8ft canes to support them. The next 3ft along
needs to be dug next to plant the peas.

Thanks for the advice re the Wolf tools - what great, sturdy
connectors these have. I got the push/pull weeder and the three
pronged claw head which just made very light work of breaking up the
soil under the lifted turf.

The soil has a definate clay-ness to it but it also crumbles and looks
lovely and chocolatey. Looking at the indentations in the garden I
suspect I am not the first to grow here (it's a 1920s house) but I
know no one has grown anything for at least 20 years.