Old 12-06-2007, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default new idea for barrier to stop slugs

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 12 Jun, 11:07, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
Expensive though - Spouse makes me them from reclaimed copper. why are
you
not surprised? :-)

You ... you, you are lucky and that's all I can say!

Oh it works!

Innit.

Copper is not magnetic!

Off course you're right. Sorry - I meant for it's non magnetism, like
iron or steel would, and being conductive it penatrate the soil more
easily than iron would.

Hmm ...

Lighter too. Prettier. Doesn't rust.

Mine have all turned a dull brown, much like rust :-) But I don't mind,
except that they're more difficult to see. There's no way I'm going to
polish them though.

For the
slug thing it leaves residues apparently - thought I'm not too
convinced on this.

Nor am I, I'm happy to use the slug rings and slug taps because they work.

And not surprised your spouse loves it so much g

Although when he was a metallurgist he worked with ferrous metals, never
copper. One of our friends (a fellow student in the evening class where we
met) worked at Yorkshire Copper Works. He was known as Copper Nob but
because he had red hair ... sorry, I'm wandering ...

Mary