Old 12-06-2007, 03:29 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
earhtmother earhtmother is offline

Default How old is your oldest fish?

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 08:58:13 CST, earhtmother
wrote:

I live in Gravenhurst ON, Z3 and have a 15' x 21' x 3/3.5' pond that
gets a good layer of ice on it every winter

On Jun 11, 2:06 pm, ~ jan wrote:
What do you do to keep an opening in the ice for gas/O2 exchange?
~ jan

We have a Laguna fountain in the middle that we just take the first
section of pipe & head off. This works well as long as you keep an
eye on the ice volcano that grows up around it and try to keep the top
open , although this year actually knocked the whole thing sideways
into the pond and still only lost 2-3 of the larger goldies. There
still LOTS of fry and at least 20 6-8" goldies so am not tooo worried
about it now. We also have a "sump' pump that pumps the ground water
that accumulates under the liner back into the pond so until that
freezes it is going as well. DH liked the look of the fountain
without it's sprayhead so much that we actually have npot put it back
together just left it to "jet" up as oppossed to the mushroom shape it
usually is.

On a side note what is the plant your frog is hiding out in, it looks
like a rhipsalis but I am not sure. I have become addicted to all
things rhipsalis and am always looking for new (to me) varieties.

Elaine