Old 12-06-2007, 08:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins Des Higgins is offline

Default Problems with melons - please help urgently if possible please.

"Keith (Dorset)" wrote in message
Dear all,

Once again ths year I am getting quite a few of my tiny melons
(Cantaloupe), turning yellow and 'dying off at a very early stage - when
they are about the size of a de-podded French bean.

Hi Keith:

Let me start by saying I do not know the answer but seeing as no one else
answered I will volunteer a shot in the dark.
It is possible that these are unfertilised. The reason I say this is
because that seems to happen pumpkins which are related.
??

Des

I do get some that reach maturity every, but most 'wilt' like this.

I suspected it may be due to irregular or underwatering, but this still
persists.

The plants are 9in pots, in proper growing compost (some have some garden
compost added), and they are out of draughts in a warm, unheated
greenhouse.

Any help please.

Many thanks,

Keith